June 19th, 2016
Guest Blog Post by Justin Barbour, globetrotter & travel Writer
You won’t believe this Rafting & Camping Weekend offered exclusively by Alpine Rafting on the Kicking Horse River by Alpine Rafting. Getting away for a weekend of adventure has never been more affordable. We’ve compiled Tips & Tricks for you to maximize your weekend warrior fun!
Whitewater Rafting on the Kicking Horse River is considered a world class adventure. I actually ran this river eons ago with my folks. I vividly remember bailing the boats as we went down the river. Well, things are a little different now! Travelling through Yoho National Park and through the biggest whitewater in the Canadian Rockies. Trips are reasonably priced from $35 – $99 Per Person. A Half or Full Day Trip with a Riverside BBQ Lunch & 1 or 2 night of Rustic Riverside Camping ranges from $69 – $99 Per Person. Gentle Family Rafting Trips which also include a Riverside BBQ Lunch are only $35 for Children and $65 For Adults.
I hooked up with my Calgary friends after landing at YYC from Regina ( long story..) and we headed out for a weekend of Rafting & Camping. First stop! : Alpine Rafting’s Rustic Riverside Campground. Ok guys – let me just say that this is the awesomeest place I have ever camped. I do have to warn you though – you have to have all your on camping equipment for this one. Beg, borrow or steal cause this DIY Camping stuff was right up our alley. There was a fishing lake not too far from the campground and we were able to camp right out on the gravel flats. A sprawling expanse of gravel bars and glacial waters, some of us even went for a quick little swim. The next morning saw us drive in to Golden, BC to the Alpine Rafting office for our day of rafting.
- What to Expect: Prepare to get wet on this wet and wild ride on one of Western Canada’s most beautiful river. Outfitter will provide a detailed confirmation, however personal items to bring are usually only limited to a bathing suite and towel
- When to go:
- JUNE 2016 – Warmer temps, great water levels, high water.
- JULY 2016 – Hot summer fun on the river, closer to the end of July, great time to raft the Middle Canyon
- AUGUST 2016 – Emerald coloured water, clear days, Middle Canyon offers unparalleled thrills, and Class 4 rafting is still abundant.
- SEPTEMBER 2016 – Emerald coloured water, clear days,Class 3 & 4 thrills are still happening!
- Recommend Trip: Get your Feet Wet in the morning & hold on after lunch. The Kicking Horse Classic is hands down the most thrilling trip in the Canadian Rockies. This is the trip I was able to do with Alpine & definitely the one I would recommend. The guides are professional & knowledgeable & definitely keep you entertained ( with rapids!!)
Alpine Rafting has been running the Kicking Horse River for 34 years. These guys are the best in the business & they definitely know how to show you a good time. Jimmy & Val are arguably the most passionate whitewater enthusiasts out there! Catch up with them after your river trip for a beer & tell them Justin sent you!!
To check out their raft n camp packages, please visit: Alpine Rafting Rafting & Camping Packages