The Kicking Horse River is a wild, untamed river flowing freely from a trickle high up in the Wapta Icefield in the Canadian Rockies to its terminus in Golden, British Columbia. The Kicking Horse River is the premier rafting experience in the Canadian Rockies & Golden, British Columbia
Gentle Family Rafting Trips glide along the upper reaches of the River, and the Middle & Lower Canyons promise lots of Adventure for both new & seasoned adventure enthusiasts. Here is a breakdown of the sections that Alpine Rafting offers on the Kicking Horse River.
THE UPPER CANYON – 14 KM
- Best Described as a Fast Paced Float. Youll get splashed but not soaked. Suitable for Ages 4 & Up. Great for people with Small Children or those seeking a mild rafting Adventure
- Alpine Rafting Upper Canyon trip is unique in that we raft within Yoho National Park. We are the only whitewater rafting outfitter in Golden BC permitted to do so. “Yoho” means awe in Cree. Check out more Info on Yoho National Park here
- The views are awesome! Yoho National Park is known as the ‘waterfall park’ so there are views of waterfalls in the distance as well as sweeping views of Mount Chancellor
- Usually once kids meet the 90 pound requirement for the Middle Canyon, we do suggest that if they are going to raft the Upper Canyon that they also raft the Middle Canyon, as once kids are above a certain age they do find it a bit ‘boring’ to just raft the Upper Canyon
- INSIDERS TIP – There is a bonus section of the Kicking Horse River that lies within Yoho National Park offered exclusively by Alpine Rafting. It is not to be missed! Other Companies run 10 km & we run 14 kilometres. Check out our Insiders Tips Post
THE MIDDLE CANYON – 12 KM
- The Middle Canyon is a pretty awesome stretch of river. In that section, we see a couple dozen Class 3, 4 and 4+ rapids. That means nice, big fun rolling waves. The rapids are nice and continuous, and you will definitely get wet!
- The Middle Canyon is suitable for those over 90 pounds that are at least 4’11” tall