Lake Louise National Park
Everything at Lake Louise National Park during the summer months is about being outside and enjoying some fresh air.
Alpine Rafting is a short drive within an hour from Lake Louise National Park. Come join us for white water rafting on the world renowned Kicking Horse River.
DIRECTIONS FROM LAKE LOUISE TO GOLDEN
- From Lake Louise, follow Trans Canada Highway 1 Westbound about 75 km.
- Exit at Lafontaine Rd, turn left and you’ll see us in the roundabout.
- Alpine Rafting – 101 Golden Donald Upper Rd, Golden, BC V0A 1H1
About Lake Louise
Lake Louise National Park was first discovered by 3 young men while working on the transcontinental railway. They discovered several hot springs in 1883. In a few years time, the land and its ownership was the subject of a heated debate.
The Canadian government stepped in and created its first national park, Banff National Park; home to Lake Louise.
In 1888, William Cornelius Van Horn who was a railroad baron opened the first hotel in the area. After successfully opening his first hotel, Van Horn began opening additional lodges and hotels along the railroad line.
The flood of tourists had begun.
SUMMER ACTIVITIES IN LAKE LOUISE
Everything in the Banff National Park during the summer months is about being outside and enjoying some fresh air.
- There are plenty of hiking trails to explore.
- Several companies offer white water rafting tours through the mountain rivers.
- Over a three-day period, visitors can enjoy the Alberta Culture Days that celebrate early Native American life in this area.
- There are live concerts and interpretive dances.
- Each June, the Performance in the Park event has a two-day helping of exciting music concerts from local, regional and national acts.
- Performances start in the afternoon and continue on into the early evening.
WINTER ACTIVITIES IN LAKE LOUISE
In the winter, snow lovers have their chance to indulge in a little skiing and snowboarding at one of the best ski resorts in the world.
- One tour company offers tours of the area on cross-country skis.
- A gondola ride high over the countryside is a great way to get an amazing view of the snow covered mountains and town.
- The Christmas in the Rockies festival offers guests the chance to view stunning ice sculptures and for children to take advantage of a lot of exciting games and activities.
- Roaming carolers will serenade guests, but the main event is the Santa Clause Parade of Lights that includes a visit from the big man himself.