*For 2022, all heli rafting guests must bring proof of vaccination (2 doses) against Covid-19. This is the requirement of our heli provider and Transport Canada so we are unable to make any exceptions. *
Does rafting down big class 3 and 4 whitewater and riding in a helicopter to get there sound like a good time to you?
It sure does to us, and that’s why Pure Whitewater, our half day heli rafting trip, was born.
The lower canyon is well known in the rafting world because it starts off with 4 kilometers of really fun class 4 rapids. It’s uncommon to have such a continuous stretch of class 4 in commercial rafting, so it makes the Kicking Horse River very special.
When the lower canyon is open, it offers the biggest whitewater and most rapids on the Kicking Horse. And want to know what makes it even more exciting?
Flying in a helicopter to get there. There’s no road access into the lower canyon, so we fly you from the take out of the middle canyon to the put in for the lower.
The middle canyon is another 12 km stretch of fun whitewater you’ll be experiencing on this trip, so it’s the perfect action packed afternoon.
Pure Whitewater rafts 22 km of non-stop action. Take in the views of the mountains surrounding Golden as you’re rafting through the canyon and as you’re flying past them!
This trip does not include lunch, so be sure to have a good bite to eat before arriving.
We are excited to announce that Alpine Rafting has merged with our friends at Glacier Raft Company. Click here to read more.
- The adventure begins at the Alpine Rafting office at 11:00 a.m. but you must check in 15 minutes prior to the start time.
- You’ll get a full safety briefing before you get on the river, so you’ll know exactly what to do when you hit the whitewater.
- You’ll also get a yummy snack between the middle and lower canyons before flying into the lower canyon – all that paddling certainly works up an appetite.
- We’ll end up back at the Alpine Rafting office at approximately 5:15 p.m.
All rafting guests must be at least 16 years of age. This trip requires a minimum number of 12 guests in order to run. If that number isn’t met, or if there is inclement weather, your trip will be substituted for a Half Day Rafting Trip, and you’ll be charged accordingly. Please see the rest of our policies below.
What to Bring
- A craving for adventure.
- Your bathing suit and towel – we provide everything else you need on the river.
Why WE Love This Trip
- It’s the two biggest sections of whitewater on the river, and a heli flight to get there – it’s a lot of bang for your buck
- It’s a dream come true for adrenaline junkies. 22 km of Canadian whitewater – that makes us smile too!
- Lots of time in the morning to sleep in, or experience other sites around Golden, BC
Heli Rafting Policies
- This trip is offered on Saturdays and Wednesdays starting mid-July.
- No experience is required. Our guides will train you up.
- We can only raft the lower canyon at specific water levels. It closes at certain times throughout the summer when the water becomes too high for us to safely run it. This is typically June and early July, but can extend into late July or early August. When this occurs, we run the middle canyon whitewater section twice. Not to worry though – at high water, the middle canyon is as good as it gets!
- If we can’t raft the lower canyon due to high water you WILL STILL be flying in the helicopter. The heli will fly you back up the canyon to raft the second lap of the middle. The flying time is the same for both trips. If you’ve booked a heli trip you will be flying – you DO NOT have the option downgrade your trip day of.
- We cannot give advance notice of whether or not we’ll be rafting the lower canyon, as river levels are dependent on Mother Nature and can change very quickly. The decision to raft the lower canyon is often made the morning of the trip when we have realtime information on water levels and weather. Please try to understand that river levels are completely out of our control.
- We hold the right to cancel trips entirely if water levels fluctuate to a level that makes it unsafe for us to be on the Kicking Horse. Safety is the only consideration when making this decision. If we cancel a trip for this reason you will receive a full refund.
- If you have to cancel your heli trip, the full amount is refundable (less a $20.00 per person processing fee) provided we receive at least 30 days notice prior to your trip date. If notice occurs within 30 days of your trip, the $100.00 per person deposit becomes non-refundable, and within 21 days of your trip the full amount is non-refundable.
- We need a minimum number of people for heli trips to run. If those numbers are not met we will not be able to book the helicopter. If minimum numbers are not met we will not charge you for the lower canyon portion of your trip, or for the heli flight.
- A $5.00 Land Use Fee and 5% tax is added to all trips.
Have any extra questions? Ask us!
Meet Our Guides
Experienced, Engaged & Confident. Our team is nothing short of outstanding.