Does rafting down big class 3 and 4 whitewater and riding in a helicopter to get there sound like a good time to you?
It sure does to us, and that’s why Pure Whitewater, our half day heli rafting trip, was born.
The lower canyon is well known in the rafting world because it starts off with 4 kilometers of really fun class 4 rapids. It’s uncommon to have such a continuous stretch of class 4 in commercial rafting, so it makes the Kicking Horse River even more amazing.
When the lower canyon is open, it offers the biggest whitewater and most rapids on the Kicking Horse. And want to know what makes it even more exciting?
Flying in a helicopter to get there. There’s no road access to get to the lower canyon, so we fly you from the take out of the middle canyon to the put in for the lower canyon.
The middle canyon is another 12 km stretch of fun whitewater you’ll be experiencing on this trip, so it’s the perfect action packed afternoon.
Pure Whitewater rafts 22 km of non-stop action. Take in the views of the mountains surrounding Golden as you’re rafting through the canyon and as you’re flying past them!
This trip does not include lunch, so be sure to have a bite to eat before arriving.
Our Kicking Horse River adventure was great! Great staff - informative and humorous. Excellent equipment - the wet suits were washed and sanitized between river trips. The Express in the afternoon was advertised as 1 hour 15 minutes on the water, and was more than...More
We are excited to announce that Alpine Rafting has merged with our friends at Glacier Raft Company. Click here to read more.
- The adventure begins at the Alpine Rafting office at 11:45 a.m. but you must check in 15 – 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- You’ll get a full safety briefing before you get on the river, so you’ll know exactly what to do when you hit the whitewater.
- You’ll also get a yummy snack between sections of the river, before flying into the lower canyon – all that paddling certainly works up an appetite.
- We’ll end up back at the Alpine Rafting office at approximately 5:30 p.m.
All rafting guests must be at least 16 years of age. This trip requires a minimum number of 12 guests in order to run. If that number isn’t met, or if there is inclement weather, your trip will be substituted for a Half Day Rafting Trip, and you’ll be charged accordingly.
What to Bring
- A craving for adventure.
- Your bathing suit and towel – we provide everything else you need on the river
Why WE Love This Trip
- It’s the two biggest sections of whitewater on the river, and a heli flight to get there – it’s a lot of bang for your buck
- It’s a dream come true for adrenaline junkies. 22 km of Canadian whitewater – that makes us smile too!
- Lots of time in the morning to sleep in, or experience other sites around Golden, BC
Heli Rafting Cancellation Policy
- This trip is offered on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays starting mid-July. We can run this trip other days of the week, as well, if you have a group of 12 or more people.
- No experience required. Our guides will let you know exactly what to do!
- The Kicking Horse lower canyon can only be run at specific water levels, and it will be closed at certain times throughout the summer when the water becomes too high for us to safely run it. June and early July tend to be when we see the highest water. When this occurs, we run the middle whitewater section twice. Not to worry though – at high water, the middle canyon is as good as it gets!
- If we can’t raft the lower canyon due to high water you WILL STILL be flying in the helicopter. The heli will fly you back up the canyon to raft the second lap of the middle. The flying time is the same for both trips. If you book a heli trip you are confirming your seat in the helicopter regardless of whether you’re rafting the lower canyon, or middle canyon twice. Even through there is road access to the middle canyon, you cannot downgrade your trip day of, as your seat(s) in the heli will already be confirmed. Please be aware that if other guests upgrade their trip on the day to add on a second lap of the middle canyon, they will have the option to drive back up with our bus. If you’ve booked a heli trip you will be flying – you DO NOT have the option downgrade your trip to ride the bus.
- If you have to cancel your trip, the full amount is refundable (less a $10.00 per person processing fee) provided we are given at least 30 days notice prior to your trip. If notice occurs within 30 days of the trip the $100.00 per person deposit becomes non-refundable, and within 21 days of the trip the full amount is non-refundable.
- We need a minimum number of people for all heli trips. If those numbers are not met we will not be able to book the helicopter. If minimum numbers are not met you will not be charged for the third leg of your trip, or for the heli flight.
- Advance notice of whether or not we’ll be rafting the lower canyon cannot be given, as many factors can change very quickly. The decision to raft the lower canyon is made the morning of the trip when we have the most recent information on water levels, weather etc. Please try to understand that river levels are completely up to Mother Nature and are not something we can control.
- We hold the right to cancel a trip if water levels fluctuate to a level that makes it unsafe for us to raft on the Kicking Horse River. As water levels are completely dependent on Mother Nature, we may not know until the day before, or morning of the trip. This decision would be made entirely based on safety. If we cancel a trip for this reason a full refund will be given.
- A $5.00 Land Use Fee and 5% tax is added to all trips.
Have any extra questions? Ask us!
Meet Our Guides
Experienced, Engaged & Confident. Our team is nothing short of outstanding.