HELI RAFTING IS NOT AVAILABLE IN 2020 DUE TO COVID-19. FOR ANOTHER FULL DAY OPTION, PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR FULL DAY DISCOVERY TRIP.
If you’re seeking the ultimate adrenaline-pumping adventure, there’s nothing like hovering high above the dense pine forests of the Canadian Rockies in a helicopter.
We’ll fly you over the river, then take you on a thrilling ride down foamy white water through narrow vertical canyons.
You’ll be far off the beaten track, in the legendary lower canyon of the Kicking Horse River. The water is wild and unruly here, rushing through the canyon walls with intense energy.
You’ll realize how accurate the name “Kicking Horse” really is: riding this river feels like trying to stay on a bucking bronco!
Throughout your unforgettable journey down these class 4 rapids, you’ll be led by your expert guides who know the river inside and out. Splashing down the river with your friends, paddling furiously and whooping with excitement is a Rocky Mountain bucket list experience you’ll never forget.
Choose from two trips – the Ultimate Heli Adventure (Full day) or the Pure Heli White Water (Half day) rafting trip. The Ultimate trip includes all 3 sections of the Kicking Horse River, and a delicious riverside BBQ lunch. If you’d like to have your time on the water a bit shorter, than the Pure is for you. It will be only the middle and lower canyons and will not include a lunch.
We have rafted twice with Alpine and both trips were fantastic. Staff are friendly and well organized, our guide made us feel safe. Lunch was provided in our trips and... read more
We are excited to announce that Alpine Rafting has merged with our friends at Glacier Raft Company. Click here to read more.
- The adventure begins at the Alpine Rafting office at either 9:30 a.m. (Ultimate) or 11:45 a.m. (Pure) but you must check in 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- You’ll get a full safety briefing before you get on the river, so you’ll know exactly what to do when you hit the whitewater.
- You’ll also get a yummy snack between sections of the river, before flying into the lower canyon – all that paddling certainly works up an appetite.
- We’ll end up back at the Alpine Rafting office at approximately 5:30 p.m.
All rafting guests must be at least 16 years of age. This trip requires a minimum number of 12 guests in order to run. If that number isn’t met, or if there is inclement weather, your trip will be substituted for a Full or Half Day Rafting Trip, and refunded the difference.
- A craving for adventure.
- Your bathing suit and towel – we provide all of the other rafting gear.
Why WE Love This Trip
- It’s a surprisingly affordable opportunity to try heli-rafting, an exciting bucket-list outdoor experience. Flying in a helicopter through the canyon is an experience like no other.
- It’s a dream come true for adrenaline junkies. Four kilometers of continuous class 4 whitewater? Challenge accepted!
- You’ll get a chance to explore a truly wild and unspoiled section of the Canadian backcountry that most visitors don’t get to see.
Heli Rafting Cancellation Policy
- This trip is offered on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays starting mid-July. We can run this trip other days of the week, as well, if you have a group of 12 or more people.
- No experience required. Our guides will let you know exactly what to do!
- The Kicking Horse lower canyon can only be run at specific water levels, and it will be closed at certain times throughout the summer when the water becomes too high for us to safely run it. June and early July tend to be when we see the highest water. When this occurs, we run the middle whitewater section twice. Not to worry though – at high water, the middle canyon is as good as it gets!
- If we can’t raft the lower canyon due to high water you WILL STILL be flying in the helicopter. The heli will fly you back up the canyon to raft the second lap of the middle. The flying time is the same for both trips. If you book a heli trip you are confirming your seat in the helicopter regardless of whether you’re rafting the lower canyon, or middle canyon twice. Even through there is road access to the middle canyon, you cannot downgrade your trip day of, as your seat(s) in the heli will already be confirmed. Please be aware that if other guests upgrade their trip on the day to add on a second lap of the middle canyon, they will have the option to drive back up with our bus. If you’ve booked a heli trip you will be flying – you DO NOT have the option downgrade your trip to ride the bus.
- If you have to cancel your trip, the full amount is refundable (less a $10.00 per person processing fee) provided we are given at least 30 days notice prior to your trip. If notice occurs within 30 days of the trip the $100.00 per person deposit becomes non-refundable, and within 21 days of the trip the full amount is non-refundable.
- We need a minimum number of people for all heli trips. If those numbers are not met we will not be able to book the helicopter. If minimum numbers are not met you will not be charged for the third leg of your trip, or for the heli flight.
- Advance notice of whether or not we’ll be rafting the lower canyon cannot be given, as many factors can change very quickly. The decision to raft the lower canyon is made the morning of the trip when we have the most recent information on water levels, weather etc. Please try to understand that river levels are completely up to Mother Nature and are not something we can control.
- We hold the right to cancel a trip if water levels fluctuate to a level that makes it unsafe for us to raft on the Kicking Horse River. As water levels are completely dependent on Mother Nature, we may not know until the day before, or morning of the trip. This decision would be made entirely based on safety. If we cancel a trip for this reason a full refund will be given.
- A $5.00 Land Use Fee and 5% tax is added to all trips.
Meet Our Guides
Experienced, Engaged & Confident. Our team is nothing short of outstanding.